DIY Cooling Syetem

I've been asked several times recently how I achieve the all important 15-20 degree night temperature drop that most highland Nepenthes require to thrive long term. This should hopefully answer your questions!

I can take no credit for the design of this system, as I followed a guide created by a fellow Nepenthes grower who faced this same issue. Please follow the link below to see his guide!

http://edencps.com/diy-air-conditioner/ 

I followed the guide fairly closely but did have to make several changes since his chamber was far smaller than my walk-in grow tent. In the original design, A 6" Ice Box Heat Exchanger, inline fan and ducting were used which, I felt, wouldn't have the cooling power I needed. So, rather than risk the system being underpowered and basically useless, I upped everything to 8" diameter versions of the above. The only other change I made was a slightly smaller pump to feed the Ice Box, since I had a 800 gph pump from my old aquarium just laying around collecting dust, and to be honest, I don't think the slightly less powerful pump would really have much of an effect on cooling power.

Overall, this system has worked beautifully for the past few months. I can get night temps consistently into the mid to upper fifties at night. I highly recommend this system for anyone looking to provide a better environment for their plants, though the initial costs are fairly high, its well worth it in the long run!


Happy Plants!

Comments

Popular Posts